4 Tips to Eat Healthier When Ordering Takeout or Food Delivery
Dining at home with your favorite takeout or food delivery? Our simple tips will help you make healthier choices when ordering out.
- Check online. Some menus have symbols or designations to let you know which options are healthier. Or you can look for nutritional information (if provided) on the restaurant’s website.
- Ask for help. If you can’t figure out what’s in a menu item or if you want to learn more about it, just ask! Restaurant staff can help you navigate the menu and tell you about ingredients, preparation methods or substitutions.
- Half now, half later. Portion size too big? Try saving half of your food for another meal.
- Sauce and toppings on the side. When in doubt, ask for dressings and sauces on the side. You’ll control how much you add to your food.
Look for these generally healthier menu items and terms the next time you’re ordering takeout or food delivery:
- Skinless chicken, fish or seafood, and lean unprocessed meat
- Nuts and legumes such as black beans
- Whole-grain bread, rice (“brown rice”) and pasta
- Broth-based soup with lots of veggies
- Grilled, sautéed, roasted, steamed, baked or poached
- Cooked vegetables or salad as sides
- Guacamole, pico de gallo
- Flavored with herbs, spices and/or vinegar
- A la carte for smaller portions
- Healthy or light menu options
- Fresh fruit and fruit-based desserts
- Water, unsweetened tea and coffee
Use these tips to order out with confidence — and remember to wash your hands before digging in!