Dining in at home with your favorite takeout or food delivery? Our simple tips will help you make healthier choices when ordering out.
- Check online. Some menus have symbols or designations to let you know which options are healthier. Or you can look for nutritional information (if provided) on the restaurant’s website.
- Ask for help. If you can’t figure out what’s in a menu item or if you want to learn more about it, just ask! Restaurant staff can help you navigate the menu and tell you about ingredients, preparation methods or substitutions.
- Half now, half later. Portion size too big? Try saving half of your food for another meal.
- Sauce on the side. When in doubt, ask for dressings and sauces on the side. You’ll control how much you add to your food.
Look for these generally healthier menu items and terms the next time you’re ordering takeout or food delivery:
- Skinless chicken, fish, lean meat
- Whole-grain bread, rice and pasta
- Broth-based soup with lots of veggies
- Grilled, sautéed, roasted, steamed, baked, poached
- Condiments and toppings on the side (such as mayo, salad dressing)
- Baked potato or side salad
- Black beans
- Guacamole, pico de gallo
- Light sauces flavored with herbs, spices, vinegar
- A la carte, light menu options
- Fresh fruit and fruit-based desserts
Use these tips to order out with confidence — and remember to wash your hands before digging in!