The awards recognize hospitals that demonstrate at least 85 percent compliance in each of the seven Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke Achievement Measures. Tier levels are determined by the length of demonstrated performance:
Bronze recognizes performance of 90 consecutive days.
- Silver recognizes performance of 12 consecutive months.
- Gold recognizes performance of 24 consecutive months or more.
The Achievement Measures are embedded in the Patient Management Tool. They are:
- IV rt-PA arrive by 2 hour, treat by 3 hour: Percent of acute ischemic stroke patients who arrive at the hospital within 120 minutes (2 hours) of time last known well and for whom IV t-PA was initiated at this hospital within 180 minutes (3 hours) of time last known well. Corresponding measure available for inpatient stroke cases.
- Early antithrombotics: Percent of patients with ischemic stroke or TIA who receive antithrombotic therapy by the end of hospital day two. Corresponding measures available for observation status only & inpatient stroke cases.
- VTE prophylaxis: Percent of patients with ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, or stroke not otherwise specified who receive VTE prophylaxis the day of or the day after hospital admission.
- Antithrombotics: Percent of patients with an ischemic stroke or TIA prescribed antithrombotic therapy at discharge. Corresponding measures available for observation status only & inpatient stroke cases.
- Anticoagulation for AFib/Aflutter: Percent of patients with an ischemic stroke or TIA with atrial fibrillation/flutter discharged on anticoagulation therapy. Corresponding measures available for observation status only as well as inpatient stroke cases.
- Smoking cessation: Percent of patients with ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke, or TIA with a history of smoking cigarettes, who are, or whose caregivers are, given smoking cessation advice or counseling during hospital stay. Corresponding measures available for observation status only & inpatient stroke cases.
- Statin Prescribed at Discharge: Percent of ischemic stroke or TIA patients who are discharged on Statin Medication. Corresponding measures available for observation status only as well as inpatient stroke cases.
To qualify for an Achievement Award, a hospital must:
- Achieve Participating Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke Hospital status.
- Demonstrate compliance in the seven Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke Achievement Measures in at least 85 percent of all eligible patients. This must be documented in a written application.
- Complete application for the Bronze, Silver or Gold awards.
Silver Plus and Gold Plus Quality Awards are advanced levels of recognition acknowledging hospitals for consistent compliance with Quality Measures embedded within the Patient Management Tool. For eligibility information, please download the Silver Plus and Gold Plus Quality Award FAQ (PDF).
- Baseline data is not to be included in the demonstrated time frame of adherence.
- Once a hospital has been recognized with a Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Silver Achievement Award, it is no longer eligible for the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Bronze Achievement Award.
- Recognition criteria is subject to change based on program enhancements.
- Seven key Achievement Measures are being used to evaluate and recognize success. These measures are consistent with those measures used by several organizations. However, all of the measures in Get With The Guidelines are important in the care of patients.
The Patient Management Tool™ system provided by Outcome, Cambridge, Mass