Scientists who seek National Institutes of Health funding for cardiovascular disease and/or stroke research know all too well that heart and stroke research receive a disproportionately small amount of NIH dollars. The NIH invests only 4 percent of its budget on heart research and a mere 1 percent on stroke research.
Faced with this trend, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association formed the National Coalition for Heart and Stroke Research in 1995. The mission is to influence the process by which the executive branch and Congress determine levels of funding for cardiovascular and stroke research in favor of increased allocations. The coalition generates larger grassroots support for increased heart and stroke research funding, fosters and supports activities and strategies to increase research funds, and generates increased media coverage of heart and stroke issues. The coalition is a catalyst for the coordination of research advocacy efforts of its member organizations. This includes the coordination of strategy development, information sharing and developing coordinated grassroots efforts.
- To increase awareness about the importance of heart and stroke research within Congress.
- To increase public awareness about the importance of heart and stroke research.
- To increase funding for federal heart and stroke research.
- Adult Congenital Heart Association
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Heart Association
- American Neurological Association
- American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.
- American Physical Therapy Association
- American Stroke Association
- American Vascular Association Foundation
- Association of Black Cardiologists
- Child Neurology Society
- Children's Cardiomyopathy Foundation
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Heart Failure Society of America
- Heart Rhythm Society
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association
- Mended Hearts, Inc
- National Stroke Association
- Pediatric Stroke Network
- SADS Foundation
- Society of Interventional Radiology
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Association
- Women's Heart Alliance
- WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
For more information email Claudia Louis in the Office of Federal Advocacy or call 202-785-7906.