The American Heart Challenge for high schools prepares students for success through service-learning opportunities focused on physical, personal and social responsibility.
What is the American Heart Challenge?
The American Heart Challenge educates students on living a heart healthy lifestyle, inspires students to engage in the mission of the American Heart Association and allows them to experience fun physical activity at school while raising life-saving funds.
Why should your school register to participate?
Student Benefits and Opportunities
- Provides leaderships and volunteer opportunities.
- Juniors and Seniors who lead or volunteer are eligible to apply for $1,000 scholarship.
- Participating schools are eligible to apply for up to $3,500 in grant funding. A total of $400,000 in funds will be granted this year!
Build Your Curriculum
- NEW OPEN curriculum provides a series of classroom-based physical activity plans and resources that support social and emotional learning.
- Curriculum modules for physical, personal and social responsibility.
- Conversation starters to addressing the rising concern around teen vaping and smoking.
How does it work?
The American Heart Challenge prepares teenagers for success by supporting their physical and emotional well-being. To do so, the American Heart Association has pulled together step-by-step instructions for students, student-led clubs, student councils, teachers or coaches to host fun activities in your school with engaging educational modules that address the needs of high school students.
OPEN and the American Dance Movement are proud supporters and provide amazing resources like:
- Dance Party Activation Guide, Including Participation in National Dance Day –American Dance Movement a proud support of the American Heart Association.
- Active Classroom Physical Activity Breaks
- Personal and Social Responsibility Curriculum Modules
- Heart-Healthy Academic Language Tools
- Family Engagement Ideas
- More Than 40 Fitness and Skill-Based Instructional Modules
Additional AHA resources including downloadable Lesson Plans and Interactive Skills Resources:
- Grade-Specific Ideas for a successful American Heart Challenge Event
- NFL PLAY60 videos, vignettes, and virtual field trips powered by Discovery Education
- Resources for Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Wellness in the Classroom
- Common Core Connection and Alignment
- Communication Starters for Faculty and Parent Wellness
We're Here to Help!
Specially trained American Heart Association staff or volunteers will be available every step of the way to support your program. If you have any questions or need help, please contact us at 877-824-8531.