Thank you for participating as a Volunteer/Lead Ambassador using AHA's online trackers to work with participants to monitor their blood pressure. Healthier blood pressure sometimes takes a community.
Are you one of the 103 million people in the United States who has high blood pressure? Do you have a family history of it? Known also as the silent killer or hypertension, high blood pressure typically has no symptoms but can lead to deadly health consequences such as heart attack, stroke and kidney failure. Some populations are more at risk of developing hypertension than others. Despite how widespread it is and damaging it can be, high blood pressure is still unknown, misunderstood or ignored by many people.
For that reason, a scientific study was developed to see if a multi-disciplinary, community-wide program could be effective in improving blood pressure results in its participants. The answer is “yes”.
You Can Do It!
Based on the positive results of Check It. Change It. pilot program, Check. Change. Control launched in August 2012 targeting (18) markets. The purpose of the program is to eliminate high blood pressure as a health disparity among Americans. From July 2017-June 2018, more than 1,300,000 participants enrolled with an average drop in overall blood pressure of 7.7 mm Hg.
Check. Change. Control. is an evidence-based hypertension management program that utilizes blood pressure self-monitoring to empower participants to take ownership of their cardiovascular health. The program incorporates the concepts of remote monitoring, online tracking and recruiting local volunteer health mentors to encourage participants.
The Check. Change. Control. Tracker is a new online tool to help you track your blood pressure readings and connect with a volunteer health mentor to share your results and progress. Signing up is easy, you just need a campaign code which you can receive by contacting your local AHA affiliate who can also provide more information on the program. If there isn’t an AHA office near you, go to www.ccctracker.com/aha and find the campaign code on the map for your state and sign up.
Below are resources and information valuable to your role:
- Check. Change. Control. Implementation Toolkit (PDF)
- Participant Role Description (PDF)
- Community Partner/Volunteer Health Mentor Job Description (PDF)
Community Partner/Volunteer Health Mentor Job Description - Spanish (PDF)
Community Partner/Volunteer Health Mentor Job Description - Tradl. Chinese (PDF)
- Check. Change. Control. External Overview (PDF)
Check. Change. Control. External Overview Spanish (PDF)
Check. Change. Control. External Overview Chinese (PDF)
- Volunteer Participant Communication Plan (PDF)
Templates and Forms
- Participant Sign Up /Contact Form (PDF)
- Volunteer Email Messaging Templates (PDF)
- Community Partner Volunteer Hours Letter (PDF)
- Volunteer Mentor Hours Form (PDF)
Check. Change. Control. Tracker Resources
- Participant Guide (PDF)
Participant Guide Spanish (PDF)
Participant Guide Chinese (PDF)
- Participant BP Readings (PDF)
- Volunteer Guide (PDF)
Volunteer Guide Spanish (PDF)
- CCC BP Postcard (PDF)
CCC BP Postcard Spanish (PDF)
CCC BP Postcard Chinese (PDF)
- BP Numbers Flyer (PDF)
BP Numbers Flyer Spanish (PDF)
BP Numbers Flyer Chinese (PDF)
- FAQs for CCC Tracker (PDF)
- 4 Month BP Education Series (PDF)
- Consequences of High Blood Pressure Infographic (PDF)
Consequences of High Blood Pressure Spanish Infographic (PDF)
Consequences of High Blood Pressure Chinese Infographic (PDF)
- Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions | Poster size
Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions Spanish | Poster size
Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions Chinese | Poster size
- Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions — Women
Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions — Women Spanish
Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions — Women Traditional Chinese
Blood Pressure Measurement Instructions — Women Simplified Chinese
- CCC Historical Program Overview (PDF)
- What Can I Do To Improve My Blood Pressure? (PDF) | Spanish (PDF) | Traditional Chinese (PDF)
- Hypertension Guideline Highlights (PDF)