Together We Will Empower & Equip the Community to Turn the Tide of Community Health
Communities know their needs and often have ideas and solutions to improve the health of their community. The American Heart Association (AHA), in partnership with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, is partnering with and funding community leaders to implement their ideas through mini grants to promote heart health in specific communities across North Carolina. Community partners are eligible for mini-grants ranging from $2,500 - $10,000 to support heart healthy policies and environments. Community members, including individuals, churches, senior centers, community health centers, housing authority, historically black colleges and universities, community colleges, city and county government, hospitals, employers, and others are welcome to apply.
This cycle will fund projects in the Triangle (Wake, Durham, Orange counties) and Charlotte (Mecklenburg, Gaston, and Union counties) areas.
Examples of eligible expenses could include:
- Increase the capacity to provide fresh or frozen produce at a food pantry/bank (e.g. purchase of refrigerator, sink, shelving, etc);
- Establish a new food distribution site (e.g. pop-up market, mini-pantry, etc);
- Implement food security screenings in a clinic or community setting with a referral system in place;
- Launch an EBT (SNAP & WIC) payment system at a Farmers Market, mobile market, or other healthy food outlet (except corner stores);
- Increase access to USDA Child Nutrition programs (i.e. CACFP early care, supper, summer programs);
- Implement a self-measured blood pressure program in a clinic or community setting;
- Implement tobacco-free policy adoption at churches, worksites, or schools;
- Develop and adopt community-level health equity plans;
- Other strategies to improve the health of your community.
The grant application window is now closed. Grantees will be notified in May 2023 and future opportunities will be announced as they become available.
Complete this form to receive future communications about open grant opportunities available in your community.
- The Heights Community Development Center: Generational Health in the Community, food security & hypertension management
- Care Ring: Heart Health Initiative, hypertension management
- Wingate University: Promoting Heart Health and Addressing Food Insecurity in Rural Eastern Union County, additional farmers market
- Grier Heights Presbyterian Church: Grier Heights Fresh Food Express, food security
- Uptown Farmers Market: Shuttle Service for Seniors from Affordable Housing Communities, transportation and food security
Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill):
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,School of Nursing Mobile Health Clinic: Addressing food insecurity and ASCVD risk assessment to improve health, self-management support and CVD outcomes
- Alliance Medical Ministry: Social Determinants of Health screening and food access
- Iglesia La Semilla : "La Alacena Comunitaria de Durham" (Durham's Community Pantry)
- Black Farmers Market:Double Bucks Program
- PORCH Hillsborough: Cold food storage to increase capacity for community hunger relief
Triad (Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem):
- Guilford County Department of Health and Human Services (GCDHHS)- Public Health Division and Greensboro Housing Coalition/Cottage Grove Collaborative: Establish SMBP and diabetes screening initiative
- Neighborhood Markets Inc.: Double Dollar SNAP program
- H.O.P.E. Neighborhood Market: SNAP and food security screenings
- Association of North Carolina Boards of Health: Establish SMBP and wellness initiative to reduce high blood pressure
- United Health Centers: Food security screenings and food pharmacy program to increase access to healthy foods utilizing an innovative approach
- Out of the Garden Project: Food security screening to increase access to healthy foods for low-income families
Winter 2020/2021 Awardees:
- Alliance Medical Ministry: Distributing Fresh Produce to Uninsured Adults with Chronic Diseases (Triangle)
- Bike Durham: Protected Light Individual Transportation (LIT) Lanes and Shared Streets as Areas for Residents to Walk, Ride, and Play (Triangle)
- Camino Community Center: Camino Vida Teaching Kitchen (Charlotte)
- Cary Downtown Farmers Market: Farmers Market Bucks (Triangle)
- Feed My Sheep of Durham: Doing our part in Northeast Central Durham (Triangle)
- Greensboro Farmers Market: Heart Health Ways 4 Healthy Living: How to Plan/Shop, Cook and Move to Support Your Heart Health (Triad)
- Guilford Community Care Network: Supporting Healthy Practices for Underserved and Indigent Adults of Guilford County (Triad)
- Guilford County Department of Health & Human Services – Public: COVID-19 Postpartum Hypertension Self-Management Project (Triad)
- Heated Seminars, LLC Health Education Consultants: How to Have an Illness and Live a Healthy Life (Triad)
- H.O.P.E. of Winston-Salem: Help Our People Eat (Triad)
- Hope Street Food Pantry: Operation Raise Funds for a Bigger Box Truck (Charlotte)
- Lincoln Community Health Center (Durham): Treating hypertension in a high-risk, low-resource population through at home BP monitoring (Triangle)
- Magnolia House Foundation, Inc.: Continue to improve the health and knowledge of the community (Triad)
- McLeod Addictive Disease Center, Inc: Residential Patient NRT, CO Monitoring, and Tobacco-Free Campus Signage (Charlotte)
- N.C. A&T University / CAES Student and Community Farm: Fresh herbs and healthy food demonstrations at NC A&T’s Student and Community Farm (Triad)
- Neighborhood Markets, Inc.: Green for Greens Fund: Matching SNAP Dollars at a Time of Extraordinary Need (Triad)
- New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church: Fostering our Faith, Heeding our Health and Caring for our Community: Promoting Healthy Living in the Midst of a Pandemic (Triad)
- Presbyterian Hospital Foundation (Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center Foundation): Home-Based Cardiac Rehabilitation (Charlotte)
- Sigma Nu Fraternity Incorporated: High Point University: The Garden (Triad)
- The Twenty Inc.: Fresh Start Healthy Heart for Families Program (Triad)
- YMCA of the Triangle: Durham Y Delivers: Heart Healthy Cooking & Healthy Meals for Kids (Triangle)
Spring 2020 Awardees:
Camino Community Center
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Food Policy Council
Cobblestone Farmers Market
Community Faith Builders Corporation
Durham County Health Department
Guilford Community Care Network
Holly Springs Food Cupboard
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
Josephine Dobbs Clement Early College High School Magnolia House Foundation, Inc.
McLeod Addictive Disease Center, Inc.
Neighborhood Markets, Inc.
New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church
Out of the Garden
Shepherd’s Care Medical Clinic
SMSi Healthy Living Solutions, Inc.
The Hope Center at Pullen, Inc.
Time Out Youth Center
Union County Government
WakeUP Wake County