Together We Will Empower & Equip the Community to Turn the Tide of Community Health
Communities know their needs and often have ideas and solutions to improve the health of their community. The American Heart Association (AHA), in partnership Blue Cross Blue Shield NC, is partnering with and funding community leaders to implement their ideas through mini grants to promote heart health in the Triangle (Wake, Durham, and Orange counties), Triad (Guilford and Forsyth counties), and Charlotte (Mecklenburg, Gaston, and Union counties). Community partners are eligible for mini-grants ranging from $2,500 - $10,000 to support heart healthy policies and environments. Community members, including individuals, churches, senior centers, community health centers, housing authority, historically black colleges and universities, community colleges, city and county government, hospitals, employers, and others are welcome to apply.
Examples of eligible expenses could include:
- Increase the capacity to provide fresh or frozen produce at a food pantry/bank (e.g. purchase of refrigerator, sink, shelving, etc);
- Establish a new food distribution site (e.g. pop-up market, mini-pantry,etc);
- Implement food security screenings in a clinic or community setting with a referral system in place;<
- Launch an EBT (SNAP & WIC) payment system at a Farmers Market, mobile market, or other healthy food outlet (except corner stores);
- Increase access to USDA Child Nutrition programs (i.e. CACFP early care, supper, summer programs);
- Implement a self-measured blood pressure program in a clinic or community setting;
- Address COVID-related complications related to nutrition security or access to care;
- Implement tobacco-free policy adoption at churches, worksites, or schools;
- Develop and adopt community-level health equity plans;
- Other strategies to improve heart healthy spaces.
The mini-grant application deadline has now closed. Mini-grant awardees will be notified in December. Public announcements of winners will be in early January.
For more information and technical support: [email protected]
Congratulations to our Winter 2020/2021 Award Winners:
- Alliance Medical Ministry: Distributing Fresh Produce to Uninsured Adults with Chronic Diseases (Triangle)
- Bike Durham: Protected Light Individual Transportation (LIT) Lanes and Shared Streets as Areas for Residents to Walk, Ride, and Play (Triangle)
- Camino Community Center: Camino Vida Teaching Kitchen (Charlotte)
- Cary Downtown Farmers Market: Farmers Market Bucks (Triangle)
- Feed My Sheep of Durham: Doing our part in Northeast Central Durham (Triangle)
- Greensboro Farmers Market: Heart Health Ways 4 Healthy Living: How to Plan/Shop, Cook and Move to Support Your Heart Health (Triad)
- Guilford Community Care Network: Supporting Healthy Practices for Underserved and Indigent Adults of Guilford County (Triad)
- Guilford County Department of Health & Human Services – Public: COVID-19 Postpartum Hypertension Self-Management Project (Triad)
- Heated Seminars, LLC Health Education Consultants: How to Have an Illness and Live a Healthy Life (Triad)
- H.O.P.E. of Winston-Salem: Help Our People Eat (Triad)
- Hope Street Food Pantry: Operation Raise Funds for a Bigger Box Truck (Charlotte)
- Lincoln Community Health Center (Durham): Treating hypertension in a high-risk, low-resource population through at home BP monitoring (Triangle)
- Magnolia House Foundation, Inc.: Continue to improve the health and knowledge of the community (Triad)
- McLeod Addictive Disease Center, Inc: Residential Patient NRT, CO Monitoring, and Tobacco-Free Campus Signage (Charlotte)
- N.C. A&T University / CAES Student and Community Farm: Fresh herbs and healthy food demonstrations at NC A&T’s Student and Community Farm (Triad)
- Neighborhood Markets, Inc.: Green for Greens Fund: Matching SNAP Dollars at a Time of Extraordinary Need (Triad)
- New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church: Fostering our Faith, Heeding our Health and Caring for our Community: Promoting Healthy Living in the Midst of a Pandemic (Triad)
- Presbyterian Hospital Foundation (Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center Foundation): Home-Based Cardiac Rehabilitation (Charlotte)
- Sigma Nu Fraternity Incorporated: High Point University: The Garden (Triad)
- The Twenty Inc.: Fresh Start Healthy Heart for Families Program (Triad)
- YMCA of the Triangle: Durham Y Delivers: Heart Healthy Cooking & Healthy Meals for Kids (Triangle)
Spring 2020 Winners
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Food Policy Council
Cobblestone Farmers Market
Community Faith Builders Corporation
Durham County Health Department
Guilford Community Care Network
Holly Springs Food Cupboard
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
Josephine Dobbs Clement Early College High School
McLeod Addictive Disease Center, Inc.
Neighborhood Markets, Inc.
New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church
Out of the Garden
Shepherd’s Care Medical Clinic
SMSi Healthy Living Solutions, Inc.
The Hope Center at Pullen, Inc.
Time Out Youth Center
Union County Government
WakeUP Wake County