The American Heart Association’s® (AHA) Get With The Guidelines® (GWTG) is a hospital-based quality improvement program designed to close treatment gaps. It includes modules in atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, heart failure, resuscitation and stroke.
The AHA collects millions of patient records in our Quality Programs, creating vast databases for advancing scientific research. Using the data that are collected through AHA's national GWTG programs, researchers can develop study questions and submit a proposal to conduct an investigator-led research project.
AHA’s Quality Programs Research has been a highly valuable source for quality outcomes-based research, with nearly 600 peer-reviewed studies published using these data.
NOTE: Get With The Guidelines-Resuscitation follows a different analytic model. Learn about the details of the program and the publications using Get With The Guidelines - Resuscitation Research
Get With The Guidelines - Heart FailureProposal Submission Deadline Extended to Aug 15, 2021
Standard Research Proposal:
- Hypothesis-driven study is developed within the context of data acquired through AHA's Get With The Guidelines or Mission: Lifeline® program.
- Avoid developing a proposal that has overlap with any published scientific research, including GWTG Publications.
- Complete the Research Proposal Form (Document) completely with details and suggested tables and charts for the proposed study.
- Submit completed proposal form to firstname.lastname@example.org by submission deadlines listed below.
- Note: Proposals that can bring their own funding will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and have no submission deadline.
- AFIB Proposals - Feb 15th and Aug 15th
- CAD Proposals - Feb 15th and Aug 15th
- HF Proposals - Mar 15th and Aug 15th
- Stroke Proposals - Apr 15th and Sep 15th
- Oct 15 for AHA Early Career Investigator Database Seed Grant submissions (see link for more info)
Review of Proposals:
- There will be a competitive approval process and proposals will be rated on the basis of scientific merit, feasibility, and novel contribution to the scientific literature. The top scoring proposals will be selected to be funded by the AHA.
- Projects not selected but feasible may be revised and resubmitted for up to 2 subsequent cycles.
- Project will be investigator-led with intent to develop a draft manuscript for peer-reviewed journals within 6 months of receipt of analyzed data.
- AHA funding will be in the form of delivered statistical analysis and support for your writing group.
- Datasets are not released
- Guidance and support by AHA Staff and expert GWTG program physician-scientist volunteers will be providing mentorship.
Additional Forms and Information
Research Proposal Forms
Data Elements Collected by Program