The American Heart Association’s® (AHA) Get With The Guidelines® (GWTG) is a hospital-based quality improvement program designed to close treatment gaps. It includes modules in atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, heart failure, resuscitation and stroke.
The AHA collects millions of patient records in our Quality Programs, creating vast databases for advancing scientific research. Using the data that are collected through AHA's national GWTG programs, researchers can develop study questions and submit a proposal to conduct an investigator-led research project.
AHA’s Quality Programs Research has been a highly valuable source for quality outcomes-based research, with nearly 600 peer-reviewed studies published using these data.
NOTE: Get With The Guidelines-Resuscitation follows a different analytic model. Learn about the details of the program and the publications using Get With The Guidelines - Resuscitation Research
Thank you for your interest in Get With The Guidelines® (GWTG) Research. The review submission deadline dates for proposals has changed for each program. Please see "Submission Deadlines" below for more information.
Get With The Guidelines - Resuscitation Mid-year Research Opportunity
For the first time, GWTG-R will be making data available for research with a mid-year data update. In alignment with AHA’s efforts to accelerate research impact and streamline research collaboration, this data will be made available on the AHA Precision Medicine Platform (PMP). This cloud-computing platform, hosted by the AHA Institute for Precision Cardiovascular Medicine, offers secure workspaces equipped with state-of-the-art analytical tools.
Need to know:
- Proposals will be reviewed for novelty, feasibility and data sufficiency, strength of the statistical analysis plan, and strength of the research team.
- To ensure feasibility and data sufficiency, please review the Get With The Guidelines – Resuscitation Patient Management Tool data collection forms prior to submitting the proposal.
- Published GWTG Quality Research can be searched and reviewed ensure novelty.
- Analytical tools are available in the PMP Workspace(link opens in new window), including SAS, Python, R, Scala, and a comprehensive suite of analytical packages.
- Proposals that include data linkages to other data sets will not be accepted at this time.
- Data access via the Precision Medicine Platform workspace and included tools will incur a tiered monthly data access fee and will be offered at discounted rates for this proposal cycle.
- Project support from the AHA Data Analysis Team is available at an additional cost (see GWTG-R/PMP Research Data Request form Appendix for description of fees).
- Sites may have up to two active projects at a time.
To submit a proposal:
- Download and complete a GWTG-R/PMP Research Data Request form
- Submit the proposal to the American Heart Association at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm (Central), Wednesday, September 9th, 2020.
Standard Research Proposal:
- Hypothesis-driven study is developed within the context of data acquired through AHA's Get With The Guidelines or Mission: Lifeline® program.
- Avoid developing a proposal that has overlap with any published scientific research, including GWTG Publications.
- Complete the Research Proposal Form completely with details and suggested tables and charts for the proposed study.
- Submit completed proposal form to email@example.com by submission deadlines listed below.
- Note: Proposals that can bring their own funding will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and have no submission deadline.
- AFIB Proposals - Aug 15th and Oct 15th
- CAD Proposals - Aug 15th and Oct 15th
- HF Proposals - July 15th and Nov 15th
- Stroke Proposals - Sep 15th and Dec 15th
- Oct 15 for AHA Young Investigator Database Seed Grant submissions (see link for more info)
Review of Proposals:
- There will be a competitive approval process and proposals will be rated on the basis of scientific merit, feasibility, and novel contribution to the scientific literature. The top scoring proposals will be selected to be funded by the AHA.
- Projects not selected but feasible may be revised and resubmitted for up to 2 subsequent cycles.
- Project will be investigator-led with intent to develop a draft manuscript for peer-reviewed journals within 6 months of receipt of analyzed data.
- AHA funding will be in the form of delivered statistical analysis and support for your writing group.
- Datasets are not released
- Guidance and support by AHA Staff and expert GWTG program physician-scientist volunteers will be providing mentorship.
Additional Forms and Information
Research Proposal Forms
Data Elements Collected by Program