The American Heart Association’s® (AHA) Get With The Guidelines® (GWTG) is a hospital-based quality improvement program designed to close treatment gaps. It includes modules in atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, heart failure, resuscitation and stroke.
The AHA collects millions of patient records in our Quality Programs, creating vast databases for advancing scientific research. Using the data that are collected through AHA's national GWTG programs, researchers can develop study questions and submit a proposal to conduct an investigator-led research project.
AHA’s Quality Programs Research has been a highly valuable source for quality outcomes-based research, with more than 600 peer-reviewed studies published using these data.
NOTE: Get With The Guidelines-Resuscitation follows a different analytic model. Learn about the details of the program and the publications using Get With The Guidelines - Resuscitation Research
Call for Hemorrhagic focused stroke proposals - Special Opportunity!
Standard Research Proposal:
- Hypothesis-driven study is developed within the context of data acquired through AHA's Get With The Guidelines or Mission: Lifeline® program.
- Avoid developing a proposal that has overlap with any published scientific research, including GWTG Publications.
- Complete the Research Proposal Form (Document) completely with details and suggested tables and charts for the proposed study.
- Submit completed proposal form to [email protected] by submission deadlines listed below.
- Note: Proposals that can bring their own funding will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and have no submission deadline.
- Rolling call for self-analysis projects on the AHA Precision Medicine Platform.
- 2023 Spring proposal cycle for AHA-funded analysis at AHA's approved analytics vendor.
- Oct 16 for AHA Early Career Investigator Database Seed Grant submissions (see link for more info).
- Applicants for AHA-funded analysis must have one of the following citizenship designations at the time of the proposal submission and throughout the duration of the project. Trainees are not required to reside in the United States for any period before applying.
- Investigators without any of the U.S. citizenship designations listed above can submit proposals to conduct analyses on the AHA Precision Medicine Platform, with external funding. After the proposal is approved, investigators will need to complete the international due diligence process.
- There will be a competitive review process and proposals will be rated on the basis of scientific merit, feasibility, and novel contribution to the scientific literature.
- Projects not selected but feasible may be revised and resubmitted for up to 2 subsequent cycles.
- Project will be investigator-led with intent to develop a draft manuscript for peer-reviewed journals.
- Datasets are not released.
- Expert GWTG program physician-scientist volunteers will provide mentorship, and AHA staff will provide guidance and support.
Additional Forms and Information
Research Proposal Forms
Data Elements Collected by Program
- Get With The Guidelines®- AFIB
- Get With The Guidelines®- Coronary Artery Disease
- Get With The Guidelines®- Heart Failure
- Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke
- Mission: Lifeline®
See the National-Level Quality Program Data Publications Policy for additional details.