The Kids Heart Challenge is held at schools across the country, delivering heart-healthy physical activity through service learning for the American Heart Association.
What is the Kids Heart Challenge?
Building on key learnings from 41 years in America’s schools, the Kids Heart Challenge focuses on whole body wellness, helping students improve their own health and better their character while raising life-saving donations for the American Heart Association to help kids facing heart-health issues.
Why should your school register to participate?
Earn Give-Backs and Incentives
- Earn US Games certificates as well as receive 10% off when using certificates and free shipping.
- Direct contributions back to your school.
- Participating schools are eligible to apply for up to $3,500 in grant funding. A total of $400,000 in funds will be granted this year!
Build Your Curriculum
- OPEN curriculum provides a series of classroom-based physical activity plans and resources that support social and emotional learning.
- PE-focused curriculum modules for physical, personal and social responsibility.
- More curriculum in development to support whole child.
Support Your Community
- Fun interactive characters that reinforce emotional and physical well-being with augmented reality interface and easy online fundraising.
- Updates to our popular app and new Heart Hero characters with encouraging messages to support the whole child.
- Facebook community site for educators to share stories, best practices and successes.
How does it work?
The Kids Heart Challenge prepares kids for success by supporting their physical and emotional well-being. To do so, the American Heart Association has pulled together step-by-step instructions for physical education instructors, coaches or teachers to host fun activities in your school with engaging educational modules that teach heart-healthy information to your students.
OPEN and the American Dance Movement are proud supporters and provide amazing resources like:
- Complete Activity Curriculum Modules for Jump Rope, Hoops, Dance and Warrior Obstacle Course
- Active Classroom Physical Activity Breaks
- Personal and Social Responsibility Curriculum Modules
- Heart-Healthy Academic Language Tools
- Family Engagement Ideas
- More Than 40 Fitness and Skill-Based Instructional Modules
Additional AHA resources including downloadable Lesson Plans and Interactive Skills Resources:
- Grade-Specific Ideas for a successful Kids Heart Challenge Event
- NFL PLAY60 videos, vignettes, and virtual field trips powered by Discovery Education
- Resources for Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Wellness in the Classroom
- Common Core Connection and Alignment
- Communication Starters for Faculty and Parent Wellness
We're Here to Help!
Specially trained American Heart Association staff or volunteers will be available every step of the way to support your program. If you have any questions or need help, please contact us at 877-824-8531.