Resources for Managing Conditions in an Emergency
The American Heart Association stands strong with everyone affected by the devastating wildfires in California. Our hearts go out to every family. We hope that these resources will be valuable for you.
Health insurers and customer service numbers:
- Aetna, 800-US-AETNA (800-872-3862)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of California, 800-393-6130
- Cigna, 800-997-1654
- Humana, 800-448-6262
- Kaiser – Northern CA, 866-454-8855
- Kaiser – Southern CA, 833-574-2273 (after hours advice: 833-574-2273)
- Superior, 866-896-1844
- UnitedHealth, 866-633-2446
Medication Tracker (PDF) In an emergency, if you find yourself without your medication, it’s sufficient to have a list of your medications and your cardiologist’s phone number. Download this medication chart to help keep track. It’s also a good idea to contact your cardiologist or internist know where you’ll be. Your doctor might know physicians or reputable heart institutes in the area if help is needed.
During catastrophic events such as a natural disaster, a Personal Health Record (PHR) ensures that your healthcare provider and pharmacists health can get the information they need.
If you’ve had to relocate, find hospitals near you able to handle heart and stroke emergencies.
- Air quality index(link opens in new window)
- Air quality monitoring(link opens in new window)
- Call 911 if you're experiencing these symptoms of heart attack or stroke.
- Financial and Vital Documentary Recovery - The Red Cross has outlined steps regarding property or other losses, ongoing bills, replacing IDs, official documents and tax records.
- Google public alerts(link opens in new window).
- Hands-Only CPR - learn to save a life in two minutes
- How to handle stress
- Know what to do before, during and after a wildfire(link opens in new window).
- Learn the difference of heart attack and cardiac arrest.
- Personal Health Records(link opens in new window) - During catastrophic events such as a natural disaster, a Personal Health Record (PHR) ensures that your healthcare provider and pharmacists health can get the information they need.
- Red Cross – Disaster recovery(link opens in new window) and other aid is offered.
- Sign up for Nixle alerts(link opens in new window) from CHP, text your zip code to 888777
- Small business owner and homeowner support(link opens in new window) – The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans upon approval of application.
- Wind and weather alerts(link opens in new window).