Northeast Ohio & Western Pennsylvania
Help us ensure everyone in Northeast Ohio & Western Pennsylvania has the opportunity to live longer, healthier lives.
CPR during suspected opioid overdose
Northeast Ohio is facing an opioid crisis, as the number of deaths from opioid overdose has skyrocketed in recent years. The American Heart Association recommends using CPR during suspected overdose to help save lives.
If a teen or adult is unresponsive, not breathing, and an opioid overdose is suspected:
- Call 911
- Start CPR
- Give Naloxone and use an AED if available
Community Impact Corner
Fighting heart disease and stroke in Northeast Ohio
ICYMI: In Case You Missed It
Stress and Heart Health Community Conversation
The American Heart Association hosted a community conversation to discuss:
- How stress impacts the body including the heart
- Techniques and resources to help reduce and manage stress
- The important part nutrition plays in managing stress
- Tips and strategies to support health and wellness
Get Involved With Your Community
- Tri-County Heart Walk, Location: Wean Park, Date: Saturday, May 21, 2022 - 08:30 AM
- 25th Annual Bill Phillips Memorial Golf Classic, Location: Glenmoor Country Club, Date: Monday, May 23, 2022 - 11:00 AM
- 2022 Greater Akron Heart Walk, Location: Lock 3, Date: Saturday, September 10, 2022 - 09:30 AM
- 2022 Wayne County Heart Walk, Location: Oak Hill Park, Date: Thursday, September 29, 2022 - 05:30 AM
- 2022 Stark County Heart Walk, Location: Kent State University - Stark Campus, Date: Saturday, October 1, 2022 - 09:30 AM
Share your story, Northeast Ohio & Western Pennsylvania
Sharing your personal connection to heart disease or stroke can impact so many others. Whether you are a heart disease survivor, stroke survivor, caregiver, if you have lost a loved one or have made incredible health changes because of your family history, please consider sharing your story with us to make a difference. You embody the mission of the American Heart Association and are the reason we do the work that we do.
By filling out this form, your information will be shared with our local communications team and they will get in contact with you for more information.
Stories of the Heart
It was a cold, February morning, and Renick Blosser was 44 years old. It was a typical Saturday, until Renick felt a tightness in his chest. At first, he thought it was anxiety, but then, he started to feel cold but was sweating profusely. His arms went numb, and he started panting. Renick was having a heart attack. His 12-year-old daughter was the only one home. She saw her father was in trouble, and quickly called 911.
CPR & First Aid Training
Emergencies leave us feeling helpless, but they don’t have to. Take two minutes to learn Hands-Only CPR™ now. 70 percent of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests happen in homes. When a person has a cardiac arrest, immediate CPR can double or triple their chance of survival. Prepare to save a life, find a CPR course near you today.