The gold standard tradition of certification for high-quality health care organizations is now available to individual professionals. Display your dedication to helping patients live longer, healthier and tobacco-free lives by completing your certification journey.
This certification offers a framework for evaluating professionals interested in demonstrating their commitment to tobacco control strategies including evidence-based tobacco cessation therapies. Certification provides validation that an individual has followed the American Heart Association's rigorous, science-backed requirements.
Commercial tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable disease, disability, and death in the U.S.
How Patients Benefit
- Assurance that patient care is at the heart of the certification.
- Knowledge that the health care professional can provide services using evaluation criteria supported by American Heart Association science.
- Opportunity for more effective, accessible and efficient care, particularly for those who otherwise lack access to quality care.
How Professionals Benefit
- Validation of a level of expertise that only the American Heart Association can offer.
- Possibility of more patient referrals, professional recognition and increased salary.
- Enhanced credibility and the personal satisfaction of providing your patients the best possible care.
- Certificate and graphic suitable for display.
- Access to the Association's advocacy and policy resources and updates.
How Referral Sources & Insurance Providers Benefit
- Support care coordination and communication between the referral source and agencies, enhancing the continuum of care for the patient.
- Confidence of certification built on the Association's science and guidelines.
- Opportunity to demonstrate quality of care through patient outcomes.
The American Heart Association (AHA) is collaborating with the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence (ATTUD) to improve tobacco treatment efforts and to launch the Certified Professional by the American Heart Association - Tobacco Treatment.