Accentuating the positive can help to improve your willpower.
Try a few of these tips to strengthen your willpower so you can keep positive habits going strong.
Arrange your environment.
- Clean: Get rid of your temptations, so you don’t have to resist them.
- Commit: Make plans with a friend who can hold you accountable.
- Avoid all-or-nothing thinking: Celebrate any progress you make.
Boost your willpower in the moment.
- Practice positive self-talk: Say "not now, maybe later" to get the devil off your shoulder when you're tempted.
- Distract: Give your impulse a chill pill by focusing on something else for a few minutes.
- Hide: Remove the temptation from plain sight or remove yourself from the situation.
Strengthen your ongoing willpower.
- Meditate: A 10-minute mindful meditation session every morning can help improve impulse control over time.
- Sleep: Getting quality sleep will help you feel rested and energetic the next day which can help you stick to your positive choices.
Excuse your setbacks.
- Forgive yourself: You’re human, after all! Give yourself a break when you deviate from the path, and you’ll be more likely to get back on it.
Get more wellness tips at heart.org/HealthyForGood