Don Young's JourneyDon Young is a cancer and heart disease survivor. The habit he began at age 14 has shaped his life in ways he could not imagine when he began smoking at such a young age. Though smoking has taken much from Don, including his physical voice, he is determined to speak out on the dangers of tobacco. Don is a tireless advocate within his community, speaking, volunteering and advocating for a smoke-free society.
Bobby Ballard's Story
Without CPR, Bobby Ballard of Joplin wouldn’t be alive today. Bobby had just finished a three-mile run when he had a heart attack. Thankfully, one of Bobby’s running partners recognized his symptoms and started CPR while another called 911. Today, Bobby is a running coach who is training for his 8th marathon. Bobby is also helping others learn the importance of CPR.
The Truth About Heart Disease
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer worldwide.
- Cardiovascular diseases claim more lives each year than ALL form of cancer COMBINED.
- Stroke(link opens in new window) ranks fifth globally and is a leading cause of severe disability.
- Cardiovascular disease affects one in every three adults.
- Every 40 seconds, an American will have a heart attack.
Check. Change. Control.
Check Change Control uses self-monitoring and tracking of blood pressure readings at home to help you achieve and maintain a healthy heart. Sign up today to start managing your heart health!
Make a lasting tribute
Help reduce heart disease in Missouri and beyond.
Want to share your heart disease story?We would love to hear your story. Simply send us an email and we will get back to you with more information.
To schedule an interview with a survivor or American Heart Association staff, contact Julie Lay.