How Mission: Lifeline® Helps You as a Referring Hospital
Referring hospitals are a vital link in the lifeline for heart attack patients. Mission: Lifeline helps non-PCI facilities establish programs that may improve outcomes for NSTE-ACS (non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome) and STEMI patients by:
- Establishing protocols for the rapid transfer of heart attack patients to the most appropriate hospitals
- Developing new backup plans to treat patients with fibrinolysis when prompt transfer isn't an option
- Streamlining processes for fibrinolytic therapy to meet the recommended 30 minute door-to-needle timeframe
Public recognition raises awareness of the need for effective cardiac systems of care as well as the lifesaving efforts of specific hospital teams.
- The American Heart Association provides recognition kits to award-winning organizations. Recognition kits include materials your organization can use to promote your Mission: Lifeline award in your community.
- Gold and silver award winners are honored at national conferences and in a congratulatory ad in the "Best Hospitals" edition of U.S. News & World Report.
The American Heart Association has partnered with the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (formerly Society of Chest Pain Centers) to offer accreditation to Mission: Lifeline hospitals. A Mission: Lifeline STEMI Referring Center Accreditation identifies hospitals that meet high standards of performance in prompt diagnosis and transfer of patients. Accreditation denotes the highest level of care. Hospitals that earn accreditation have the unique opportunity to display the Heart-Check mark, a symbol millions of Americans know and trust. Learn more about Mission: Lifeline STEMI Referring Center Accreditation here.
Get Started Today
You are eligible to participate no matter where you are located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- Request more information about Mission: Lifeline.
- Contact your local American Heart Association representative.
- Discover how you can gain recognition here.
- Visit the Referring Hospitals resources page to learn more about protocols and best practices.
- Join the Mission: Lifeline Network to connect with other participating organizations.