Within the ideal STEMI system of care, patients and the local community would:
- Recognize the symptoms of a heart attack and cardiac arrest.
- Realize the importance of activating emergency medical services (EMS) via 9-1-1 promptly and getting treatment quickly.
- Initiate hands-only CPR.
- Be familiar with their local hospital's role in the delivery of STEMI and cardiac resuscitation care.
The ideal system would:
- Promote culturally competent educational efforts with clear and consistent messages
- Use multiple strategies to increase skills and awareness of CPR
- Implement and maintain public access to defibrillators as well as a training program
- Include patient representatives on community planning coalitions
- Provide highly coordinated and patient-centered care
Find additional information on community involvement in systems of care.