This June, as we get outdoors to enjoy summer, take a few moments to think about your health. This is a great time to increase your exercise minutes and increase your steps! And if you're headed to Discount Drug Mart to pick up any summer health or safety items, be sure to purchase a $1 Heart in support of the American Heart Association.
Below are some tips you can use to stay healthy and safe this summer:
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. For low-calorie flavor, add slices of your favorite fruits such as melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for two hours.
- Protect your family from the sun: wear wide-brimmed hats, always apply water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Heat safety: avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest.
- Dress for the heat: wear lightweight, light colored clothing, choose light, breathable fabrics such as cotton, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Head indoors: when the heat gets unbearable, try indoor activities at your local YMCA or rec center like basketball, swimming, yoga or racquetball.
June 1st - 30th Discount Drug Mart will sell $1 Hearts in support of the local American Heart Association.
Discount Drug Mart is a proud local supporter of the American Heart Association.