Advanced Certification in Heart Failure recognizes hospitals that meet standards to support better outcomes for patients with heart failure during hospital stays, in transition from the hospital to home and during outpatient care.
Eligibility standards include:
- design and operation of a heart failure-focused program
- staffing by qualified medical professionals
- individualized care to meet patient needs
- patient involvement in their hospital care
- coordination of patient care after leaving the hospital
- collection of hospital’s heart failure-treatment performance data
- use of data to assess and continually improve quality of care for heart failure patients
- participation in the Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure quality improvement program at an award-winning level of performance
- both inpatient and outpatient treatment as well as support for the transition from the hospital to home
An approved a set of standardized performance measures for Advanced Certification in Heart Failure has been developed to better evaluate the care provided to the heart failure patients with an emphasis on transitions of care. Please visit The Joint Commission’s website to access links to the Advanced Certification in Heart Failure performance measure implementation guides.
Tools and Resources
Hospital teams that commit to earning Advanced Certification in Heart Failure are supported by tools, resources and access to program representatives who can answer questions along the way.
- Overview Sheet (PDF opens in new window)
- 2013 Scientific Session Presentation on Advanced Certification in Heart Failure (PDF opens in new window)
- 2012 Scientific Sessions Presentation on Advanced Certification in Heart Failure (PDF opens in new window)
- Visit our Get With The Guidelines®-HF website for clinical tools to support quality heart failure care.
- Visit our Target: HFSM website for strategies and clinical tools to support quality outcomes for your heart faillure patients.
- Sign up for our quarterly e-newsletter, filled with news and happenings related to Hospital Accreditation & Certification as well as other American Heart Association quality improvement programs. Past e-newsletters archived and available online.
Promotion and Branding
To download logos and branding guidelines, please visit your Joint Commission extranet site. If you are unable to locate your Joint Commission extranet site, contact email@example.com.
Certification is an achievement worth sharing. Hospitals are encouraged to celebrate their certification and display the TJC Gold Seal and AHA Heart-Check mark symbol proudly. In addition, the American Heart Association provides recognition to certified hospitals on our quality map.
Hospital teams that have achieved certification know the process and the pride that comes with it. Here's what a few of them have to say about their experience.
- “Provides evidence-based care”
- "Improve the quality of care for heart failure patients”
- “Show commitment to the patients served”
- “Creates a favorable reputation as a heart failure facility”
Sign up to get started now.
The sooner you begin, the sooner you can celebrate your accomplishment and share the news with your community. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help and answers to your questions.