Levels of Hospital Recognition
Participating Get With The Guidelines®-HF Hospital
is the first level of recognition. It acknowledges program participation and entry of baseline data into the Patient Management ToolTM*. View the Get With The Guidelines Participating Hospital application and award permission form.
Award applications are now available on-line, once application has been completed please download as pdf and save a ‘final’ form to be submitted via email to your local American Heart Association Quality Improvement Director for review.
The awards recognize hospitals that demonstrate at least 85 percent compliance in each of the five Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure Achievement Measures. The different levels reflect the amount of time for which the hospital demonstrates performance.
- Bronze recognizes performance of 90 consecutive days.
- Silver recognizes performance of 12 consecutive months.
- Gold recognizes performance of 24 consecutive months or more.
The Achievement Measures are embedded in the Patient Management Tool. They are:
- Percent of heart failure patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction (LVSD) and without both angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) and angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) contraindications who are prescribed an ACEI or ARB at hospital discharge. For purposes of this measure, LVSD is defined as chart documentation of a left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) less than 40% or a narrative description of left ventricular function (LVF) consistent with moderate or severe systolic dysfunction.
- Percent of heart failure patients who were prescribed with evidence-based specific beta blockers (Bisoprolol, Carvedilol, Metoprolol Succinate CR/XL) at discharge.
- Percent of heart failure patients with documentation in the hospital record that left ventricular function (LVF) was assessed before arrival, during hospitalization, or is planned for after discharge.
- Percent of eligible heart failure patients for whom a follow- up appointment was scheduled and documented including location, date, and time for follow up visits or location and date for home health visit.
To qualify for an Achievement Award, a hospital must:
- Achieve Participating Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure Hospital status.
- Demonstrate compliance in the four Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure Achievement Measures in at least 85 percent of all eligible patients. This must be documented in a written application.
- Complete application for the Bronze, Silver or Gold awards.
- Baseline data is not to be included in the demonstrated time frame of adherence.
- Once a hospital has been recognized with a Get With The Guidelines-HF Silver Achievement Award, it is no longer eligible for the Get With The Guidelines-HF Bronze Achievement Award.
- Recognition criteria is subject to change based on program enhancements.
- Four key Achievement Measures are being used to evaluate and recognize success. These measures are consistent with those measures used by several organizations. However, all of the measures in Get With The Guidelines are important in the care of patients.
Silver Plus and Gold Plus Quality Awards are advanced levels of recognition acknowledging hospitals for consistent compliance with Quality Measures embedded within the Patient Management Tool. For eligibility information, please download the Silver Plus and Gold Plus Quality Award FAQ.
* The Patient Management ToolTM system provided by Outcome, Cambridge, Mass.