Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Add to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Return sweet potatoes to pot. Add milk, cinnamon, or nutmeg. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Spray large pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add meat and thyme, cooking until done, about 5 more minutes.
- Add vegetables, beef broth, and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Cook a few minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add beef mixture into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the beef and vegetables. Cook in oven until entirely heated, about 15 minutes.
Cooking Tips: 1 (14.4 oz.) bag of frozen pepper stir-fry can be substituted for the fresh onion and pepper.
Keep it Healthy: Sweet potatoes are chock full of minerals and vitamins, making them a fabulous and healthy starch alternative.
Cook Once, Eat Twice: Double the recipe for the mashed sweet potatoes and serve as a side for the next dinner.
Search for the ingredient below and use the remaining amount in those recipes!
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- 63 mg
- 196 mg
- 46 g
- 9 g
- 14 g
- 31 g
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
This Italian recipe is a delicious way to get more vegetables and b...
This classic American comfort food is so easy and delicious, you ma...
Enjoy a rainbow of colorful veggies in the classic Italian lasagna ...
This classic Italian recipe has a healthy twist to include lots of ...
Our version of this American family favorite is creamy and deliciou...
This American/Southwest burger and fries recipe have a heart-health...
This great one-pot American dish is easy to make and easy on your w...
Learn how to bell peppers simply and neatly in this video from Amer...
Discover a world of flavor that exists outside the salt shaker. Fre...
Learn a great tip on how to chop fresh basil in this video from Ame...
Learn how to make own chicken broth in this video from American Hea...
Find out how easy it is to shuck corn in this video from American H...
With grocery prices at an all-time high, one of the easiest ways to...