Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Add to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Return sweet potatoes to pot. Add milk, cinnamon, or nutmeg. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Spray large pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add meat and thyme, cooking until done, about 5 more minutes.
- Add vegetables, beef broth, and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Cook a few minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add beef mixture into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the beef and vegetables. Cook in oven until entirely heated, about 15 minutes.
Cooking Tips: 1 (14.4 oz.) bag of frozen pepper stir-fry can be substituted for the fresh onion and pepper.
Keep it Healthy: Sweet potatoes are chock full of minerals and vitamins, making them a fabulous and healthy starch alternative.
Cook Once, Eat Twice: Double the recipe for the mashed sweet potatoes and serve as a side for the next dinner.
Search for the ingredient below and use the remaining amount in those recipes!
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 2.5 g
- 63 mg
- 196 mg
- 46 g
- 9 g
- 14 g
- 31 g
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
This Italian recipe is a delicious way to get more vegetables and b...
This classic American comfort food is so easy and delicious, you ma...
Enjoy a rainbow of colorful veggies in the classic Italian lasagna ...
This classic Italian recipe has a healthy twist to include lots of ...
Our version of this American family favorite is creamy and deliciou...
This American/Southwest burger and fries recipe have a heart-health...
This great one-pot American dish is easy to make and easy on your w...
Simple Cooking with Heart offers this video teaching you how to bel...
Discover a world of flavor that exists outside the salt shaker. Fre...
Here's a great tip on how to chop fresh basil.
Simple Cooking with Heart shows you how to make own chicken broth.&...
Simple Cooking with Heart shows you how easy it is to shuck corn.
With grocery prices at an all-time high, one of the easiest ways to...