Crockpot Lean BBQ Beef with Homemade Sauce and Sweet Potato Salad
- Add all the ingredients using half of pepper into the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook until beef is tender, about 8 to 10 hours on the low setting or 4 to 5 hours on high setting.
Sweet Potato Salad
- Add chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until just fork-tender, about 8 minutes (depending on size of potato chunks).
- Transfer to a colander and rinse potatoes with cold water to stop potatoes from cooking.
- In a large bowl, add celery, onion, mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and remaining pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add potatoes to bowl, and stir together. Serve at room temperature or let chill in fridge to serve cold.
Cooking Tips: Just like when cooking Russet potatoes for potato salad, you want the sweet potatoes to be fork-tender but still hold their shape—not quite as tender as if you were mashing them.
Keep it Healthy: Homemade barbecue sauce is easy and usually much healthier than the jarred ones because it doesn’t contain the salt or sugar .
Cooking Tips: When using celery, keep the leaves on the celery stalks to include in the dish. They add a ton of celery flavor to a dish.
Search for the ingredient below and use the remaining amount in those recipes!
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 2.0 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 2.0 g
- 87 mg
- 232 mg
- 41 g
- 8 g
- 15 g
- Added Sugars
- 0 g
- 40 g
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.