About $4.21 per serving
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Turmeric
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive or canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic minced from the jar, or 2 cloves minced or sliced
1 14.5 oz. can crushed or diced low-sodium tomatoes
½ cup water
- In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place the chicken a plate or pie dish, coat with spice mixture. Allow chicken to stand in spices for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, top with onions, tomato and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes then flip chicken and cook for 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through.
Brown Rice1 1/2 cup of instant brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions. Makes 4 servings
Lemon Sautéed Spinach
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
6 cups of spinach, washed and dried
½ lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice from the jar
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach, handfuls at a time, leaving enough room to stir. If all the spinach won’t fit in the pan let some wilt down and continue to add spinach until all leaves are wilted.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over spinach (or sprinkle juice from jar).
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.5 g|
|Cholesterol ||73 mg|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
|Protein ||30 g|
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
Asian Marinated Vegetable Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Cantaloupe Cucumber Gazpacho
Citrus Ginger Honey Glazed Salmon
Pork and Cabbage Stir-Fry
Tandoori Spiced Halibut with Steamed Vegetables
Simple Chicken or Shrimp Stir Fry
Szechuan Chicken Stir Fry
Tandoori Chicken with Brown Rice
Pan-Fried Pork Chop with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Sauerbraten
Tangy Asian Salad Dressing
Creamy Ginger Salad Dressing
Asian-Style Noodles with Pork & Vegetables
Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.