Find out what is happening at your local American Heart area
Lemon Chicken and Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
About $3.12 per serving
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pound chicken to even thinness (about 1 inch).
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray, place over medium heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and squeeze juice of ½ the lemon over the chicken.
- Sprinkle pepper, parsley and oregano over the chicken.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes on each side
Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
1 small sweet potato, cut in to 1-inch cubes (peeled or unpeeled)
½ cup baby carrots, cut in to 1-inch pieces
1 small turnip, cut in to 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon light tub margarine
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine vegetables in a medium mixing bowl and toss with olive oil to coat.
- Spread vegetables on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Stir vegetables and bake an additional 20 minutes until vegetables are tender (pierce easily with a fork) and are lightly browned.
- Return vegetables to mixing bowl and add margarine, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Toss until margarine is melted and vegetables are coated with cinnamon and sugar.
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
Caribbean Pink Beans
Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges
Chunky Marinara with Pasta & Seared Chicken
Jerk Pork Sandwiches with Mango Sauce
Salmon Bake with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
Simple Persian Salad
Simple Chicken or Shrimp Stir Fry
Slow Cooker Sauerbraten
Orange Glazed Turkey with Potatoes & Carrots
Recipe copyright © 2012 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.