1 tablespoon corn or canola oil
1 pound beef sirloin, beef round or flank steak (whatever is on sale), visible fat trimmed and cut into ½ -1 inch cubes
1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic from the jar (or 2 cloves minced)
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1-14.5 oz can no-salt added chopped tomatoes, undrained (or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped)
6 Hatch chilies, roasted and skinned (or 2 – 3 oz no salt added, canned green chilies)
1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper chopped (optional – skip this if you don’t like spicy food)
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- In a stew pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add beef. Stir occasionally, until browned – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cooking 2-3 minutes until onions begin to be translucent.
- Add flour, stirring until well mixed.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
|Total Fat||6.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Cholesterol ||56 mg|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
|Protein ||27 g|
Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.