- Aug 24, 2014 12:00 AM | September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month and to help raise awareness with families across the country, the American Heart Association (AHA) has an easy and fun way to help you with the No. 1 health concern among parents - childhood obesity.
New Study Predicts Sugary Drink Taxes Reduce Caloric Intake! Dr. Rachel Johnson @Voices4hk Spokesperson CommentsJun 3, 2014 2:00 PM |
- May 20, 2014 5:00 AM | Thousands of schools around the country already are finding new ways of providing "smart" snacks for students - well in advance of updated federal nutrition standards that begin this year. More than 200,000 parents, education leaders and health advocates weighed in on the new guidelines.
- May 12, 2014 4:00 PM | Tens of thousands of Maryland children who attend licensed child care centers will enjoy healthier drink choices and activities starting next year, thanks to a bill passed by the Maryland General Assembly and signed today by Governor Martin O'Malley.
- May 9, 2014 12:00 PM | Health and learning are integrally linked. Kids who are physically active learn better and schools play a critical link in community-wide efforts to promote life-long health through shared use agreements that help schools provide access to their playgrounds and gyms.
- May 2, 2014 5:00 AM | A new study suggests the reasons for disparities in obesity rates between African-American and white women are far more complex than the usual go-to culprits of socioeconomics, fruit and vegetable intake, and exercise.
- Apr 29, 2014 4:00 PM | Notah Begay III, four-time PGA Tour Winner, golf analyst and founder of the Notah Begay III (NB3) Foundation suffered a heart attack last week in Dallas. He received a stent to unblock his right coronary artery and is expected to make a full recovery, according to a statement made by his Foundation.
- Apr 25, 2014 9:00 AM | The U.S. Department of Agriculture has proposed some changes to food marketing in schools. Basically, if a food or drink doesn't meet the nutrition standards to be sold in schools, it shouldn't be marketed there, either.
- Apr 18, 2014 10:00 AM | This story was published online by the American Heart Association at www.heart.org. This story can be linked to, quoted or excerpted, with attribution to the American Heart Association. We can also offer more information and sources as needed, including photos, graphics and experts available upon request.
- Apr 7, 2014 8:10 PM | "While we would like to say that signs of progress are clear across the country in the fight to decrease obesity rates, the only clear sign is that there is more work to be done," said Nancy Brown, CEO of the American Heart Association. "While declines are in sight only among young children, the
@Nancyatheart @Heartnews Calls on Leaders to Set Aggressive Goals for Culture of Health @Voices4hk #ChildhoodobesityApr 7, 2014 4:55 PM |
- Mar 20, 2014 8:00 PM | News flash: Getting the nutrient-dense, fiber-rich foods your body needs may be easier -- and cheaper -- than you think. Planning is key.
- Mar 3, 2014 2:00 PM | There's a product at Mark's Food Market in Greenville, N.C., that sells out every few days. Folks who walk over from a mobile home park crave it so much that convenience store owner David Rozek expanded his selection. City employees pop in during their lunch hour to raid the shelves. Students from a nearby college have become regulars. A long-haul truck driver got so hooked on the stuff that it's become his constant companion, whether in his rig or on his sofa.
- Feb 27, 2014 11:10 AM | American Heart Association CEO Nancy Brown made the following comments today on the Food and Drug Administration's proposed rules for food nutrition labeling and serving sizes:
Advocate Challenges Parents to Voice Support to End Junk Food Marketing in Schools @Voices4HK #letsmoveFeb 26, 2014 9:00 AM |
- Feb 26, 2014 8:00 AM | First Lady Michelle Obama and U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack laid out new restrictions on Tuesday, limiting junk food and sugary drink marketing in schools.
- Feb 25, 2014 4:00 PM | Voices for Healthy Kids, a joint initiative of the American Heart Association and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, released the following statement today on a new report showing 43% decline in obesity among 2 to 5 year olds over a span of eight years.
- Feb 18, 2014 9:00 PM | Several cities and states across the nation are now adding bicycle paths and walking trails to their list of transportation priorities as lifestyles become increasingly sedentary and congested roads need repair.
- Feb 5, 2014 11:10 AM | American Heart Association CEO Nancy Brown issued the following comments on the Agricultural Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013, passed by Congress today.
- Feb 4, 2014 11:00 PM | Salud America! Growing Healthy Change: The new website is a first-of-its-kind clearinghouse of Latino-focused resources and stories to promote changes--healthier marketing, improved access to healthy food, and physical activity options--for Latino kids in your neighborhood and across the nation.