Verizon, the local Together to End Stroke Cause Sponsor, teams up with the American Heart Association to say “GOODBYE to stroke.”
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and Verizon present the 2014-2015 Together to End Stroke F.A.S.T. Tour! Throughout the next 10 months, the American Heart Association and Verizon will take giant F.A.S.T. letters around the Tampa Bay area to teach people the warning signs of a stroke. There will be various activities at each stop, and everyone will have the chance to sign the letters and say “GOODBYE TO STROKE.”
F.A.S.T. stands for:
- F - Face Drooping: Does one side of the face droop or is it numb?
- A - Arm Weakness: Is one arm weak or numb?
- S - Speech Difficulty: Is speech slurred, are they unable to speak, or are they hard to understand?
- T - Time to call 9-1-1: If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately.
- Stroke is the No. 4 cause of death overall – No. 3 for women and No. 5 for men.
- Stroke is the No. 1 cause of preventable disability.
- Stroke disproportionally affects minorities. African-Americans have almost twice the risk of stroke as White Americans and a much higher death rate from stroke.
- Stroke is 80% preventable.
- More than half (58%) of Americans don’t know if they are at risk for stroke.
- High blood pressure is the leading risk factor for stroke.
- One in three Americans can’t recall any stroke warning signs.
- During a stroke, a person has a short window of time to get to a hospital to be assessed for appropriate treatment options. That’s why it’s important to act fast during a stroke emergency.
- The bystander is usually the one who has to recognize a stroke and call 9-1-1.
- July 30: Noon-2 p.m. at WestShore Plaza. The letters will be at WestShore Plaza from July 30-Aug. 5.
- Aug. 6: Mayor’s Food Truck Fiesta, Curtis Hixon Park
- Sept. 13: South Tampa Health & Wellness Expo, South Tampa YMCA
- Sept. 20: Sarasota/Manatee Heart Walk, Payne Park
- Oct. 11: Polk County Heart Walk, Joker Marchant Stadium
- Oct. 15: Hillsborough County Commissioner’s Meeting
- Nov. 1: Sanderlin Center
- Nov. 15: Tampa Bay Heart Walk, Raymond James Stadium