- Serves: 4; 1 cup per serving
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium rib of celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound coarsely chopped cauliflower florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
Stir in the cauliflower. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the broth and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the mixture in the saucepan until smooth. If you prefer, you can let the mixture cool slightly and process it in a food processor or blender until smooth, then return it to the pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, flour, and nutmeg. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly and lowering the heat if the mixture splatters.
Add the Parmesan. Stir until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.0 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 1.0 g
- 3 mg
- 174 mg
- 17 g
- 4 g
- 6 g
- 8 g
- 128 mg
- 480 mg
1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook, Third Edition, Copyright © 2006 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.