Childhood obesity rates are at an all-time high: today, nearly one in three kids and teens in the United States are obese or overweight. We know that physical activity produces overall physical, psychological and social benefits, and that inactive children are likely to become inactive adults. That’s why in 2006, the American Heart Association and the National Football League teamed up to create the NFL PLAY 60 Challenge. The Challenge is a four-week program that inspires kids to get the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity a day in school and at home. By leveraging the American Heart Association’s health expertise and the NFL’s commitment to physical fitness, you can help us achieve our goal of getting kids physically active for 60 minutes every day all year long.
NEW! NFL PLAY 60 Challenge Digital Lesson Plans and Resources
The American Heart Association and the National Football League are working with Discovery Education to bring the Challenge to life using new interactive lesson plans and physical activity breaks.
Take your students on a journey through this digital learning environment to get them physically active for at least 60 minutes every day.
Get started with the Challenge today by following these four easy steps:
- Watch the Teacher Training Videos
The videos explain the 4-week Challenge and gives innovative ideas on how to successfully implement the program. There are also training demonstration videos for selected physical activity breaks.
- Download the Teacher Guide
The Teacher Guide provides you with direction, details and inspiration for implementing the Challenge and how to get your students to participate.
Other materials include:
- Student Game Planner for students to track their physical activity minutes
- Classroom Scoreboard for teacher to post the students' minutes in the classroom
- Certificate of Achievement to give to students completing the Challenge
- Register for the Online Tracker
The PLAY 60 Challenge Tracker helps you track your students’ physical activity minutes during the 4 week Challenge. Teachers and students can see how their school compares to other schools across the country using the real time data that is available in the tracker.
- Download the additional Teacher Resources to keep your kids active all year
- More than 60 subject based lesson plans
- Over 100 physical activity breaks and homework assignments
- Take home resources for parents
- Ideas on how to incorporate physical activity in the classrooms year round
- Other great Challenge resources
To share stories or experiences about your NFL PLAY 60 Challenge, e-mail us at email@example.com.
The National Football League and the American Heart Association are proud to work together to produce the NFL PLAY 60 Challenge.