Download PACE Sheet (PDF)
Because office visits are short (about 15 minutes), preparing can help you make the most of your time with your doctor. Researchers at Ohio State University developed the PACE Guide Sheet1 to give you an easy way to organize your feelings, questions and concerns before your visit. PACE stands for:
- P = Provide information about how you feel.
- A = Ask questions if you don't have enough information.
- C = Clarify what you hear.
- E = Express any concerns you may have.
Here's how to use the PACE sheet:
- A day or two before your doctor visit, answer the questions on the sheet. If you're not having problems or concerns, leave blank spaces on the form.
- Show the sheet to your doctor at the start of the visit. During the visit, use the sheet to remember what you wanted to discuss with your doctor.
1 Used with permission from Donald J. Cegala, Professor of Communication and Family Medicine, Ohio State University
This content was last reviewed January 2015.