Our advocacy volunteers and staff work with lawmakers year-round to change public policies that affect the cardiovascular health of Minnesota residents.
Join our Grassroots Network. Help us by contacting your legislators.
American Heart Association
Minnesota 2013 Legislative Session Wrap-Up
American Heart Association is celebrating MANY amazing legislative victories in Minnesota this year! Below is a complete list of the “wins” we achieved during the 2013 Legislative Session. View complete 2013 Legislative wrap-up report.
- Tobacco Tax: The Legislature passed and Gov. Dayton signed a $1.60 increase in the price of tobacco! This increase will save 26,000 Minnesotans from premature death due to smoking!
- Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP) was funded at $35 Million per biennium! Currently about half of Minnesota Counties receive funding through SHIP to improve healthy eating, increase physical activity, and reduce tobacco use. The new funds will help reach nearly the entire state with these important prevention strategies.
- The Minnesota Safe Routes to School program was funded at $500,000 per biennium! This funding will help communities plan SRTS programs, provide training for staff and volunteers to support SRTS, and other non-infrastructure costs that are crucial to a successful SRTS program. We will be back in 2014 asking the legislature to fund the infrastructure needed for SRTS such as, sidewalks, walk bridges, signal lights and improved crosswalks, through the bonding bill.
- A state System for Stroke Hospital Designation was established! 1 in 3 stroke patients arrive first at a small, rural hospital. Knowing the capacity of those hospitals prior to arrival will save precious minutes, because with stroke – time lost is brain lost.
- All Newborns in Minnesota will be Screened for Critical Congenital Heart Defects with the new law we passed! 1 in 100 babies are born with a heart defect and heart defects are the most common and most deadly birth defect for infants.
View our 2013-2014 Public Policy Priorities to help build healthier lives in Minnesota free from cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
You (and your friends and family) Are the Cure!
We need your help spreading the word about the You’re the Cure network. Tell your friends and family that they can help make Minnesota healthier - simply by pointing and clicking. Join the You're the Cure network today!
The Pulse - Minnesota State Blog
Legislative action can happen fast and things are always changing in D.C. and St. Paul. Check out our new blog to find out everything happening across the state. www.yourethecure.org/Minnesota