11-year-old Dylan Saved His Brother

Updated:Jun 12,2013
Dylan & Evan Stanley Last October, the Stanley family almost lost their 10-month-old son, Evan, after he choked on dog food, but was saved by the heroic efforts of his big brother, Dylan.

At the young age of 11, Dylan was able to save his infant brother’s life by using a skill he had just learned days prior- CPR.

On a Tuesday evening in October 2012, David Stanley, father of three boys, returned home from picking up Dylan to find his father-in-law holding his infant son, Evan, upside down because he was choking on dog food. David and Dylan noticed that Evan was no longer breathing and was starting to turn blue.

Luckily, 11-year-old Dylan had just taken a CPR training course (and received his certification) at his mother’s dental office the Friday before this event.

Instead of panicking, Dylan calmly instructed his father on how to help baby Evan. Dylan coached his father through back-blows and chest compressions on Evan, while asking his grandfather to call 9-1-1.

When the ambulance arrived, Evan had started to move air, and the CPR prevented him from losing consciousness until the paramedics arrived. Evan was rushed to the hospital, where they checked his lungs and monitored him overnight. After this terrifying life-threatening episode, he was able to return home the next day, thanks to his big brother, Dylan.

Today, the Stanley family is thankful for Dylan’s CPR training, and they know that Evan’s life was saved that day by Dylan’s calm instructions.

It only takes 60 seconds to learn Hands-Only CPR, and doing so could mean the difference between life and death of someone you love. To watch the 60-second video demonstrating Hands-Only CPR, visit www.heart.org/handsonlyCPR.

View the ABC 12 News story June 7, 2013