- 14% are uninsured
- 33% have been uninsured in their lifetime
Stroke patients without health insurance have a 24 to 56% higher risk of death.
The Affordable Care Act Helps Stroke Survivors-
- Pre-existing Conditions: You cannot be denied coverage due to a pre-existing medical condition, such as heart attack, stroke, or high blood pressure.
- Health Status and Gender Equality: You cannot be charged higher premiums because of your health status or your gender.
- Essential Benefits: Most plans must now cover a comprehensive set of essential health benefits including emergency care, hospitalization, primary and specialty care, prescription drugs, and rehabilitative care.
- Preventative Services: Most plans must now provide services such as cholesterol screenings, wellness visits to a doctor, and counseling to quit smoking at no additional charge to you.
- Out-of-Network Emergency Care: Insurance plans can’t require higher copayments or coinsurance if you get emergency care from an out-of-network hospital- and they can’t require prior approval before getting services from a hospital outside your plan’s network.
- Clinical Trials Coverage: Most plans must pay for routine care costs if you participate in clinical trials for life-threatening diseases and conditions.
Get Covered, Stay Covered
The Health Insurance Marketplace provides a single location where individuals without insurance and small businesses can shop for private insurance that meets their needs and budget. Financial help is available. Learn more and enroll between November 15 and February 15!
- Online: www.healthcare.gov
- Toll-free: 1-800-318-2596
- In-person: localhelp.healthcare.gov