- 14% are uninsured
- 33% have been uninsured in their lifetime
Stroke patients without health insurance have a 24 to 56% higher risk of death.
The Affordable Care Act Helps Stroke Survivors-
- Pre-existing Conditions: You cannot be denied coverage due to a pre-existing medical condition, such as heart attack, stroke, or high blood pressure.
- Health Status and Gender Equality: You cannot be charged higher premiums because of your health status or your gender.
- Essential Benefits: Most plans must now cover a comprehensive set of essential health benefits including emergency care, hospitalization, primary and specialty care, prescription drugs, and rehabilitative care.
- Preventative Services: Most plans must now provide services such as cholesterol screenings, wellness visits to a doctor, and counseling to quit smoking at no additional charge to you.
- Out-of-Network Emergency Care: Insurance plans can’t require higher copayments or coinsurance if you get emergency care from an out-of-network hospital- and they can’t require prior approval before getting services from a hospital outside your plan’s network.
- Clinical Trials Coverage: Most plans must pay for routine care costs if you participate in clinical trials for life-threatening diseases and conditions.
Get Covered, Stay Covered
The Health Insurance Marketplace provides a single location where people without insurance and small businesses can shop for private insurance that meets their needs and budget. Financial help is available. Learn more and enroll between November 1 and January 31!
- Online: www.healthcare.gov
- Toll-free: 1-800-318-2596
- In-person: localhelp.healthcare.gov