Managing blood pressure at home
Left undetected or uncontrolled over time, high blood pressure can have serious health consequences, including heart attack, stroke, kidney disease, sexual dysfunction and vision loss. It can also lead to worse outcomes in people with COVID-19.
The American Heart Association has resources for people in different stages of their blood pressure management journey:
- Newly diagnosed. We’ve got resources that address the lack of information, apprehension or confusion that can follow a new high blood pressure diagnosis.
- Living with uncontrolled blood pressure. Our resources address the frustration and helplessness you may feel with hard-to-manage blood pressure.
- Caregivers and other supporters. These resources help caregivers, families and friends support you on your journey to control your blood pressure.
- What is High Blood Pressure? (PDF)
- What About African Americans and HBP? (PDF)
- Know Your Risk Factors for High Blood Pressure
- Manage Your High Blood Pressure
- DS-16580 BP Rainbow Chart 2020 (PDF)