Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Marinara and Turkey Meatballs
- In a large pot (not over any heat yet), add carrots. Use a fork or potato masher to mash. Add stir-fry vegetables, zucchini, garlic, crushed tomatoes, and spice blend.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low so sauce is simmering.
Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs
- In a bowl, combine turkey, pepper, cereal and parsley. Form meat mixture into golf-size meatballs to make about 20 to 25 meatballs.
- Add meatballs into the simmering sauce, trying to get the majority of meatballs covered by sauce. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make spaghetti according to package directions (omitting the salt and fat). Serve with marinara and meatballs.
Cooking Tips: There are several kid-friendly kid steps in this recipe. Kids can help mash the carrots, crush the cereal in a sealed plastic bag, and use clean hands to form the meatballs.
Keep it Healthy: Make sure to compare sodium levels in several brands of canned vegetables and choose the product with the least amount of sodium you can find in your store.
Grocery Tip: Products simply labeled “ground turkey” will likely also include the skin, which elevates fat and calorie levels greatly. Make sure to purchase “ground turkey breast” which includes only the lean breast meat.
Search for the ingredient below and use the remaining amount in those recipes!
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 0.0 g
- 30 mg
- 157 mg
- 87 g
- 16 g
- 17 g
- 36 g
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.