Southwestern Chicken - Delicious Decisions
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bell pepper and jalapeño over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In a medium shallow dish, stir together the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder,1/4 teaspoon pepper, and salt. Dip one piece of chicken in the mixture, turning to coat and gently shaking off any excess. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook half the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly brown on both sides. Transfer to the plate with the bell pepper mixture. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and chicken.
- Pour the tomatoes with liquid into the skillet, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the lime zest, bell pepper mixture, and chicken. Increase the heat to medium. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the mixture is heated through.
Go back to Delicious Decisions home
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 1.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 66 mg
- 199 mg
- 14 g
- 3 g
- 5 g
- 28 g
½ starch, 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, Eighth Edition, Copyright © 2010 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.