Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place onions and bell pepper in a glass 9x5 loaf pan, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Cover loaf pan with a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes (NOTE: if you are using a metal loaf pan do NOT put it in the microwave!). Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetables, minced garlic, milk, oats, turkey meat, eggs, mustard, 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, pepper and parsley - mix well with hands.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in loaf pan.
- In the medium bowl, mix remainder of tomato sauce and cider vinegar, pour over loaf.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until internal thermometer reads 165 for poultry and 160 for beef or pork. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and slice.
- Heat (un-drained) in microwave-safe covered dish on high for 5 minutes, or until warm.
Fun variation: make mini-loaf by baking in muffin tins. These individual sized mini-loaves are great for freezing, fun for kids, or a great alternative if you’re in a rush because they only cook for half the time!
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
- Allspice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon Apples
- Black-eyed Pea, Corn and Rice Salad
- Crockpot Greek Chicken with Lemon Potatoes
- Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
- Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Caribbean Pink Beans
- Chicken Paella
- Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges
- Lemon Chicken and Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
- Jerk Pork Sandwiches with Mango Sauce
- Salmon Bake with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
- Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
- Simple Persian Salad
- Zucchini Salad
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders w/Homemade Potato Chips
- Crockpot Lean BBQ Beef with Homemade Sauce and Sweet Potato Salad
- Crockpot Pulled Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
- Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken or Pork
- Pan-Fried Pork Chop with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sauerbraten
- Baked Cajun Catfish & Easy Collard Greens
- Asian Cole Slaw
- Mediterranean Salad
- Tangy Asian Salad Dressing
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.0 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 132 mg
- 138 mg
- 903 mg
- 31 g
- 7 g
- 7.4 g
- Added Sugars
- 0 g
- 40 g
- 86 mg
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
This recipe is a healthy twist on a kid favorite! It is a simple ye...
Try this classic and traditional Southern-American black-eyed pea s...
This is a terrific recipe from down South featuring two Southern co...
Follow this traditional pork chop recipe to whip up a delicious din...
Whip up an authentic Southern favorite in your own kitchen.
Learn how to cook heart-healthy meals using raw beans in this video...
Canned beans are good pantry staples, but there are many benef...
Learn how to prepare collard greens with ease in this video from Am...
With grocery prices at an all-time high, one of the easiest ways to...
Learn a quick and easy way to chop an onion in this video from Amer...
Discover a world of flavor that exists outside the salt shaker. Fre...
Learn how to dice tomatoes in this video from American Heart Associ...