Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place onions and bell pepper in a glass 9x5 loaf pan, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Cover loaf pan with a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes (NOTE: if you are using a metal loaf pan do NOT put it in the microwave!). Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetables, minced garlic, milk, oats, turkey meat, eggs, mustard, 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, pepper and parsley - mix well with hands.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in loaf pan.
- In the medium bowl, mix remainder of tomato sauce and cider vinegar, pour over loaf.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until internal thermometer reads 165 for poultry and 160 for beef or pork. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and slice.
- Heat (un-drained) in microwave-safe covered dish on high for 5 minutes, or until warm.
Fun variation: make mini-loaf by baking in muffin tins. These individual sized mini-loaves are great for freezing, fun for kids, or a great alternative if you’re in a rush because they only cook for half the time!
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
- Allspice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon Apples
- Black-eyed Pea, Corn and Rice Salad
- Crockpot Greek Chicken with Lemon Potatoes
- Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
- Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Caribbean Pink Beans
- Chicken Paella
- Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges
- Lemon Chicken and Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
- Jerk Pork Sandwiches with Mango Sauce
- Salmon Bake with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
- Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
- Simple Persian Salad
- Zucchini Salad
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders w/Homemade Potato Chips
- Crockpot Lean BBQ Beef with Homemade Sauce and Sweet Potato Salad
- Crockpot Pulled Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
- Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken or Pork
- Pan-Fried Pork Chop with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sauerbraten
- Baked Cajun Catfish & Easy Collard Greens
- Asian Cole Slaw
- Mediterranean Salad
- Tangy Asian Salad Dressing
- Nutritional Analysis
- Per serving
- Calories Per Serving
- Total Fat
- 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.0 g
- Trans Fat
- 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat
- 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 132 mg
- 138 mg
- 903 mg
- 31 g
- 7 g
- 7.4 g
- Added Sugars
- 0 g
- 40 g
- 86 mg
Recipe copyright © 2015 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
This recipe is a healthy twist on a kid favorite! It is a simple ye...
Try this classic and traditional Southern-American black-eyed pea s...
This is a terrific recipe from down South featuring two Southern co...
Follow this traditional pork chop recipe to whip up a delicious din...
Whip up an authentic Southern favorite in your own kitchen.
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you learn how to cook heart-healthy...
Canned beans are good pantry staples, but there are many benef...
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you learn how to prepare collard gr...
With grocery prices at an all-time high, one of the easiest ways to...
A quick and easy way to chop an onion.
Discover a world of flavor that exists outside the salt shaker. Fre...
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you learn how to dice tomatoes.