This award honors the memory of Dr. Mark Bieber, one of the founding members of the AHA Industry Nutrition Advisory Panel, for his significant contributions to the field of nutritional science. The award is designed to recognize an early career investigator for outstanding nutrition-related research. The Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism gratefully acknowledges the educational grant provided by the AHA Industry Nutrition Advisory Panel for the support of this award.
The winner of the Mark Bieber Award will be chosen by the Conference Program Committee from applicants who submit abstracts accepted for presentation at the Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Scientific Sessions Conference. The decision will be based on 1) the quality of the abstract; 2) prior accomplishments, as highlighted in the CV; and 3) estimated potential, based on letter(s) of recommendation
The winner will be announced during the conference and will receive a cash prize of $1,000, and up to $1,200 in reimbursement for travel expenses. The winner’s laboratory will be awarded $5,000 for administration by the institution’s Grants and Contracts Department for the winner’s research.
- Abstract Deadline: October 2014
- Application Deadline: October 2014
- All applicants must be members of the AHA's Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Council.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree and hold a position at the level of assistant professor or equivalent for not more than 10 years
- Applicants must submit an abstract to the AHA's Annual Conference sponsored by the Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Council. The abstract must comply with the Conference's abstract submission guidelines. The abstract may be submitted to any category, but the research must be primarily nutrition-related.
- The abstract must be accepted for presentation (oral or poster) at the Conference and the applicant must be the first author, although the abstract may have co-authors.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Submit an abstract for the conference by TBD. The abstract may be submitted to any category, but the research must be primarily nutrition-related.
- Select the award during the abstract submission process.
- Upload all required documents as instructed during the submission process.
- Be sure to submit the documentation listed below:
- Curriculum vitae including bibliography and detail of research funding to date.
- Letter of recommendation from your immediate supervisor or sponsor (e.g., division head, department chairman or institute director). The letter should confirm your status and your primary participation in the design and research of the abstract. The letter should also address any other references to your background and experience that should be considered with regard to this award.
- One optional additional letter of support or reference from an individual familiar with your background or research may be submitted.
Manger, Scientific Conference Programs
Telephone: (720) 328-8078
Kathleen Page of USC Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute
Dr. Qi Sun, Harvard School of Public Health
Dr. Gang Hu of Pennington Biomedical
Dr. Lu Wang, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Lu Qi, Harvard School of Public Health
Marie-Pierre St-Onge, Columbia University
This award is made possible by a grant from the American Heart Association Industry Nutrition Advisory Panel.