Nina out of 10 Americans consume too much sodium.
On average, American adults eat more than double the amount of sodium they should:
3,400 milligrams is the amount of sodium that the average American consumes.
1,500 milligrams or less is the American Heart Association's recommended daily allowance of sodium.
Where does the sodium we eat come from?
- 65 percent comes from food bought in stores
- 25 percent comes from restaurants
- 10 percent comes from home cooking and at the table
How can I control how much sodium I eat?
- Choose lower-sodium foods and cook at home more often.
- Look for the Heart Check mark to find products that can help you make smarter choices about the foods you eat.
- Check the nutrition facts label for the amount of sodium per serving AND the number of servings per container.
- Read food labels. Assorted brands of the same food often have different sodium amounts.