About $1.96 per serving
Prep time 10 minutes; cook time 15 minutes
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 2 teaspoons minced from jar)
1 ( 15.5 oz) can no-salt-added or low-sodium kidney beans or red beans or black beans or pinto beans or black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 small white onion sliced very thin (or 4 scallions, sliced)
- Cook rice to package directions.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add beans, seasoning and pepper. Cook until heated through, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice to bean mixture.
Corn on the Cob
4 large ears of corn
Pepper and Butter substitute spray or soft margarine (optional)
- Removing the husks, pull off the silky threads, and cut out any blemishes with a pointed knife
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the corn, cover and cook 5 minutes. Drain and cut into halves, if desired.
- Season to taste with butter substitute spray or soft margarine and pepper
|Total Fat ||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
Dietary Exchanges: 5 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Recipe copyright © 2011 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.