About $2.04 per serving
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
1 cup fat-free buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray and place over a baking sheet.
- Cut chicken in to 8 pieces (2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks).
- In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk and egg, whisk well.
- In a separate shallow dish combine flour, paprika and pepper, stir well.
- One piece at a time, dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then coat with flour and place on baking wrack.
- Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray and bake 30 minutes, turn chicken and bake 20 minutes more until center reaches a safe temperature of 165 degrees. (Optional: If you prefer darker brown ‘crisply’ chicken, turn on the oven’s broiler for the last 2 minutes but keep an eye on the tenders so they don’t burn!)
Oven Roasted Potatoes
2 large potatoes (peeled or unpeeled), sliced in to wedges (1/4 inch at thickest part)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange potato wedges on cookie sheet so none overlap and coat lightly with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, pepper and parsley.
- Sprinkle herb mixture over potatoes and bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir and bake 15 minutes more until wedges pierce easily with a fork.
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Cholesterol ||167 mg|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
|Protein ||55 g|
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
Allspice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon Apples
Black-eyed Pea, Corn and Rice Salad
Crockpot Greek Chicken with Lemon Potatoes
Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
Caribbean Pink Beans
Lemon Chicken and Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
Jerk Pork Sandwiches with Mango Sauce
Salmon Bake with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
Simple Persian Salad
Chunky Marinara with Pasta & Seared Chicken
Creamy Cesar Salad Dressing
Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.