1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced from jar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 16-ouce cans low-sodium black beans, undrained
1 15-ounce can no salt added petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Spray large pot with cooking spray, over medium-high heat add onion and cook until translucent (5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin and jalapeno and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans to pot and lightly mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add tomatoes and broth – bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro (optional).
|Total Fat||0.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol ||0 mg|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
|Protein ||15 g|
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
Allspice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon Apples
Asian Marinated Vegetable Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Chicken and Black Bean Tostada with Avocado Cream
Chickpea Salad with Tomatoes and Cucumber
Crockpot Pulled Orange Chicken Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
Zippy Southwest Chicken Fajita Salad
Mexican Chicken Soup
Quick Chicken Chili
Pico de Gallo Griled Chicken Salad
Blackened Fish with Strawberry Kiwi Salsa
Black Bean Salad (or Salsa)
Caribbean Pink Beans
Recipe copyright © 2012 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.