Breakfast menus can be loaded with high-saturated fat items (like bacon and sausage) and baked goods that are high in trans fats. Instead, look for choices that include fresh fruit and whole grains.
- Start your meal with a glass of fruit juice.
- Order whole-grain instead of white toast. Instead of butter, spread your toast with low-fat cottage cheese and a little jam.
- Ask for low-fat cream cheese with your bagel.
- Look for whole-grain cereals with fat-free milk (but watch out for high-fat granolas).
- Enjoy fat-free or low-fat yogurt with fruit — either in a bowl or as a smoothie!
- Hot cereals such as oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat or cream of rice with a little honey can warm you up on a cool morning.
|Pancakes||Whole-grain waffle with fresh fruit|
|Fried eggs (over easy or sunny side up)||Omelet or scrambled eggs using egg substitute or egg whites|
|Bacon or sausage||Lean ham or Canadian bacon|
|Croissant, pastry, muffin||Whole-wheat bagel with low-fat cream cheese|