Our Stroke presentations from the 2017 International Stroke Conference in Houston are now available for download:
- Fast ED: A Novel EMS Screening Approach for Stroke Triage. By Raul G. Nogueira, MD
- Mission: Lifeline Stroke - Release of the EMS Stroke Routing Algorithms: A Long Journey of Collaboration. By Peter D. Panagos, MD, FAHA, FACEP
- The Evolving Role of EMS Routing: What Does This Mean for Me? By Edward C. Jauch, MD, MS
Acute Stroke Ready Hospital Certification recognizes hospitals that meet standards to support better outcomes for stroke care as part of a stroke system of care. Developed in collaboration with the Joint Commission (TJC), eligibility standards include:
- A dedicated stroke-focused program
- Staffing by qualified medical professionals trained in stroke care
- A relationship with local emergency management systems (EMS) that encourages training in field assessment tools and communication with the hospital prior to bringing a patient with a stroke to the emergency department
- Access to stroke expertise 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (in person or via telemedicine) and transfer agreements with facilities that provide primary or comprehensive stroke services.
- 24/7 ability to perform rapid diagnostic imaging and laboratory testing to facilitate the administration for IV thrombolytics in eligible patients
- Streamlined flow of patient information while protecting patient rights, security and privacy
- Use of data to assess and continually improve quality of care for stroke patients
This certification is provided through a partnership between the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and The Joint Commission, the nation's largest independent healthcare evaluation body. Click here to learn more about the differences between each of our stroke certification programs.
In order to help you have conversations about our current Three Stroke Certifications, we have a one-page ad that provides a simple explanation.
Tools and Resources
Hospital teams that commit to earning Acute Stroke Ready Hospital certification are supported by tools, resources and access to program representatives who can answer questions along the way.
- Downloadable patient education handouts, posters, community slide decks and customizable Spot a Stroke F.A.S.T. campaign tools for Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke hospitals, Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals, Primary Stroke Centers and Comprehensive Stroke Centers
- Customizable Ad Council materials for donate-media placement by not-for-profit hospitals
- Customizable patient education handouts and poster for Get With The Guidelines-Stroke hospitals, Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals, Primary Stroke Centers and Comprehensive Stroke Centers
Visit our Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke website for clinical tools to support quality stroke care. Visit our Target: Stroke website for strategies and clinical tools to support quality outcomes for your stroke patients.
Sign-up for our quarterly e-newsletter, filled with news and happenings related to Hospital Accreditation & Certification as well as other American Heart Association quality improvement programs. Past e-newsletters are archived and available online.
If you are interested in prepub standards requirements for Acute Stroke–Ready Hospital Advanced Certification, our partners at The Joint Commission can provide you with more information by clicking here.
Promotion and Branding
To download logos and branding guidelines, please visit your Joint Commission extranet site. If you are unable to locate your Joint Commission extranet site, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certification is an achievement worth sharing. Hospitals are encouraged to celebrate their certification and display the TJC Gold Seal and AHA Heart-Check mark symbol proudly. In addition, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association provides recognition to certified hospitals on our quality map.
Sign up to get started now.
The sooner you begin, the sooner you can celebrate your accomplishment and share the news with your community. Please contact us at email@example.com for help and answers to your questions.