Welcome to the Stroke Data Abstractor Training modules for the
Great Rivers Affiliate of the American Heart Association / American Stroke Association
Your hospital has decided to enroll in the American Heart Association's Get With The Guidelines - Stroke quality improvement module, congratulations!
The simple truth behind the drive for continuous quality improvement is "when medical professions apply the most up-to-date evidence-based treatment guidelines, patient outcomes improve."
We have designed this training to be interactive and educational. At any time during the training, if you have questions, feel free to contact your Get With The Guidelines Director for assistance (contact below).
As quality improvement staff, we want to make this training beneficial to you, so consider this a "work in progress." Please do not hesitate to give us feedback to improve these training modules, that's what we do, strive for quality!
You will begin and end the training with a simple test. This is designed to measure our training modules success, not your performance. It in no way affects your ability to get started right away with abstracting stroke data for your hospital.
You will be guided through a series of videos from our experts, as well as meet some of our Q.I. staff during the online, interactive training. You must complete each module. So, let's get started!
- Welcome - from stroke expert Debbie A. Murphy, MSN, RN, CNRN, SCRN, CRNP and Catherine Spahr, MBA, MA, BSN, RN (2:58)
Walking through the Patient Management Tool:
- Video: Navigating the Community Page (22:39)
- Module 1: Admin Tab (9:52)
- Module 2: Admission Tab (28:51)
- Video: NIH Stroke Scale: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly featuring Dr. Carl McComas (8:00)
- Module 3: Hospitalization Tab (47:32)
- Video: "Determining Last Known Well" featuring Lynn Hundley, MS, RN, ARPN, CCRN, CNRN, CCNS
- Module 4: Discharge Tab, Optional Tab, Core Measures Tab, Measures (27:04)
- Video - Modified Rankin Scale featuring Dr. Irene Katzan ( )
- Video: Reaching for Excellence in Door to Need Times, Target: Stroke featuring Dr. Tudor Jovin (1:01)
- Video: For Ohio Coverdell Hospital, The Ohio Special Initiatives tab, featuring Alice Liskay, BSN, RN (21:52)
- Video: Evaluation of the Acute Stroke Patient in the ER featuring Dr. Todd Crocco - OPTIONAL (28:00)
- Post Test
Great Rivers Affiliate Get With The Guideline Directors:
Eileen M. Censullo, MBA, RRT
Vice President, Quality & Systems Improvement
Great Rivers Affiliate
Starr Block, MS, BSN, RN
Senior Director - Covering Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia
Tawny Jackson, BS
Director - Covering Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware
Abby Loechler, MPH
Director - Covering Mid and Northern Ohio