This award has been developed to honor the outstanding contributions of Mr. Gilliam whose untimely death from a heart attack left a void in our community. Mr. Gilliam was an attorney, private investor, consultant and philanthropist who served as a former state cabinet secretary and executive vice president and general counsel at Beneficial Corporation. Mr. Gilliam also served as a director, chairman or trustee of several interests, including the Delaware Community Foundation, Delaware State University, Christiana Care Corporation, The Hodson Trust, the National Geographic Society, Household International, T. Rowe Price Group, Inc, and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
About The Award
The recipient of this prestigious award will be identified by the James H. Gilliam, Jr. Award Committee that is comprised of business, medical professionals, civic, and community leaders. The winner of the award will be recognized at the American Heart Association’s Wilmington Heart Ball on March 1, 2014. The award recipient must be present. The winner will receive:
• Invitation to the annual Heart Ball
• Recognition plaque
• Recognition in an official American Heart Association publication and on the American Heart Association’s website
• Invitation to participate as a Member of the James H. Gilliam, Jr. Award Committee
All nominations will be reviewed and researched by the James H. Gilliam, Jr. Award Committee. The James H. Gilliam, Jr. Award will be presented to the person who, in the belief of the committee, has made the most significant contribution to the health, welfare or benefit of the community.
• Open to all individuals.
• Posthumous nominations are acceptable.
• Nominations may be made by anyone and self-nominations are accepted.
• If you are a previous winner of the Gilliam Award, you are not eligible to apply for the year following your award. There is a one-year waiting period before you can re-apply.
• Previous nominees who did not win can re-apply by submitting an updated nomination form.
Deadline for receiving nominations: September 15, 2013
For questions, contact Denise Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-286-5704