Heart360 Get To Goal
Heart360® is an online tool of the American Heart Association / American Stroke Association which helps you track and manage your heart health and provides helpful advice and information. Just enter your health information like blood pressure in an easy-to-use tool, and your records will be safely and securely stored in Microsoft® HealthVault™.
Detroit Hypertension Initiative
The American Heart Association will recruit and train volunteers to serve as Get to Goal Mentors (Coaches) and Health Screeners.
The volunteers will oversee and help identify individuals from the Detroit African American community with hypertension and provide the necessary tools and resources needed to lower their blood pressure level over the course of four months. Find out more about volunteer responsibilities.
Why are we doing this?
Heart disease and stroke are major health risks for all people, but African Americans are at particularly high risk.
- Blacks have almost twice the risk of first-ever strokes compared to whites.
- Blacks have higher death rates for stroke compared to whites.
- The prevalence of high blood pressure in African Americans in the United States is the highest in the world.
- Among non-Hispanic blacks age 20 and older, 62.9 percent of men and 77.2 percent of women are overweight or obese.
- In 2001, 27.7 percent of black or African-Americans only, used any tobacco product. Heavy cigarette smoking approximately doubles a person's risk for stroke when compared to light smokers.
- Black women have higher prevalence rates of high blood pressure, obesity, physical inactivity and diabetes than white women.
Unlike a stroke, when a TIA occurs, the blood clot resolves itself and there's no permanent injury. When a stroke occurs and part of your brain dies from lack of blood flow, the part of the body it controls is affected. Strokes can cause paralysis, affect language and vision, and cause other problems.
|Resources and Tools for Volunteer Health Mentors|
|Detroit Hypertension Initiative Overview||This overview of the Heart360 Get To Goal includes information about how the program is organized, objectives, volunteer responsibilities and measures of success.|
|Heart360® Quick Start Guide||Instructions on how to sign up for the online Heart360® tracking program.|
|Link to Heart360 Detroit Hypertension Project||www.heart360.org/GetToGoalTakeControlHypertensionProjectDetroit|
|Get Patients To Goal Provider Flyer||Promotional flyer to encourage organizations to use Heart360.|
|Reproducible Patient Information Sheets |
|American Heart Association Staff Contacts||Kristian Hurley|
Director, Health Equity