By contacting our lawmakers through legislative visits, attending lobby days, sending e-mails, and your phone calls, we can achieve our goals and make Missouri a healthier place to live. If you haven't already, please sign up for You're The Cure!
Make sure all your friends and family know you care about advocating for heart issues on Facebook!
Smoke Free Missouri - Show-Me a Brighter Future
As more communities pass smoke-free workplace laws, smoke-free coalitions are starting to form in cities near you. Each day more and more findings are showing that secondhand smoke is deadly. Show-Me A Brighter Future is a diverse coalition of Missouri organizations and individuals, including the American Heart Association and other educational and health organizations and has proposed a statewide petition initiative that will help address Missouri’s health, smoking and school funding problems through a $.73 tax increase per pack of cigarettes and increased taxes on other tobacco products. Increasing the price of tobacco products is a proven way to decrease smoking rates and will generate an additional $283 million annually in new revenue for Missouri schools and to fund smoking prevention programs.
Look for more information in the very near future about our plans to formally launch the campaign. In the meantime, you can help in the following ways:
- Please visit our campaign online and sign up at www.showmeabrighterfuture.com
- Contact your local city council and urge them to take action to protect the citizens in their community by passing a clean indoor air ordinance.
- Get involved with a local clean indoor air coalition.
- Write letters to your local newspaper about the benefits of being smoke-free and for businesses to go smoke-free.
- Contact your American Heart Association to find out what’s going on in your area.
- Websites that offer clean air news and opportunities for the community to get involved are listed below:
|Tobacco Free Missouri|
Breathe Easy Missouri
|Smoke Free St. Louis|
Smoke Free Jefferson City
Smoke Free Joplin
Springfield One Air Alliance
Clean Air Kansas City
For more information about advocacy in Missouri, please contact:
Director of State Advocacy, Missouri
Regional Grassroots Advocacy Director - Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri